Hipica!
We enjoyed a traditional Nicaraguan breakfast this morning - nacatamales. It's basically a cornmeal-like dough, filled with chicken, pork, tomatoes, peppers, green onions, and spices, wrapped in plantain banana leaves. It's then steamed for several hours, giving it a super unique flavour. It definitely tastes like nothing else I've had before!
Despite the pouring rain, the town was full of festivities! Music and street performers were everywhere, as were people selling handcrafts, clothing, and food. The streets were packed with people! We were told they come from all across Nicaragua for this festival. Hipica is a grand horse parade. You would think it was the Calgary Stampede the way people were dressed! I wished I had brought my cowboy boots, hat, and my plaid shirt, because I certainly would have fit in better!
The parade was beautiful. The horses were traditionally groomed and tacked, and there was no doubt the riders were proud to be showing their horses! It was really something to see. And the entire town was full of life!
The festivities continued late into the night - it seemed like people of all ages were out to celebrate!
No comments:
Post a Comment