



Bitter-sweet weekend...my last in Nicaragua!
We left after work on Friday for Leon. I had already been to Leon in June, but it was where the new volunteers were headed this weekend, and there were many things I didn't have the chance to do while I was there the first time!
We had a relaxing Friday night exploring the city and enjoying some great live Spanish music. We woke early on Saturday morning to go "Volcano Boarding", which is basically sledding down a volcano over the volcanic ash. We hiked up the Cerro Negro Volcano (about an hour away from Leon). We checked out the craters and learned all about the volcano. After a "How to" tutorial and putting on our gear, we volcano boarded down the volcano! The slope is at a 43 degree angle, which is extremely steep. I clocked in at 35 km/h! Couldn't believe how fast I got going! It was an adventure and a half...and probably one of the most intense things I've ever done! The hike itself made the experience worthwhile - the views were just incredible!
We spent what was left of the day exploring the city. We sought out a well known Vegetarian restaurant for dinner, which was delicious. On our way back to the hostel, we encountered a horse in downtown Leon, holding up traffic. Apparently, locals will ride their horse to the bar, and the horse will find it's way home after. No drinking and riding! That's something I don't think I'll ever see in Canada...haha
We spent Sunday admiring the incredible churches. We spent a few hours at the beach, and then headed back to Jinotepe.
It's hard to believe that next weekend I'll be back in Canada. Actually, I can't believe it! The fact that I've been here over 9 weeks just blows my mind. Where did the time go!? As much as I've loved my time here in Nicaragua, I'm definitely feeling ready to come home.
No comments:
Post a Comment