The story of my journey...

Saturday, May 8, 2010

Day 1

I know that I am going to be very happy here.

I landed in Managua around 8pm, and I went through Nicaragua Customs and Immigration. I was definitely nervous – I couldn’t understand a word anyone was saying, which scared the daylights out of me! Once I got through, I began to look for a BaseCamp representative. It was at this point I realized that I really didn’t know if I was even being picked up! I sent them my flight information (about 2 months ago!) and nothing was ever confirmed. So it’s pitch black outside, and there are crowds of people pressed against the airport windows and doors, and I don’t even know who or where I am being picked up…smart one Meagan.

Someone approaches me and asks me if I’m with BaseCamp – thank goodness! She saw my U of A crested backpack and made the connection. She’s volunteering also! Leo, the BaseCamp Orientation Coordinator, approached us a few minutes later. Another volunteer met up with us too.

We all got into a car and began the drive to Jinotepe, the city where I will be living and volunteering. Jinotepe is 33km outside of Managua, which is Nicaragua’s capitol. This 33km trip took us about 90 minutes, partially because this car could not go very fast, especially up hills! The trip was nearly entirely uphill, so needless to say, our trip was slow and steady!

Leo served as a guide during our trip to Jinotepe. He explained the political and economic situation in Nicaragua, as well as pointed out various landmarks and such. He patiently answered our many questions.

We finally arrived at the house around 10pm. It’s beautiful! (I will post photos tomorrow!)

Well, frankly, I’m exhausted. Off to bed for me! Goodnight.



(didn't have internet to post this yesterday!)

No comments:

Post a Comment