The story of my journey...

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Day 6

Long day...!

We had Spanish class all morning, and then a quick lunch. We had about 2 hours of geography afterwards, and then we left for the Masaya market, a HUGE market about 45 minutes away. We went to catch the bus at the bus station, but here's the interesting part about public transit in Nicaragua - the buses have no scheduled times. The buses wait at the bus station until they are full before leaving. So we waited (in what looked like a full bus to me!) for about 20 minutes for 5 or 6 more people to come on board!

We saw the Santiago Volcano on the way to the market (and by the way, basically every second thing here is called "Santiago" haha). It's an active volcano, and it was actually smoking! It was pretty cool...

We shopped around at the market for about 2 hours, and we didn't even cover 2 aisles in the handcraft section alone! I can't even imagine how enormous this market really must be! There were tons of neat things - beautiful hand-woven hammocks, jewelry, masks, vases and ceramics, and all sorts of other things.

I didn't have my camera with me today, so I don't have any exciting pictures to upload, but I will most certainly take some tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. ¿No tuvo una cámara? Es una possibilidad? No creo... lol

    ReplyDelete