The story of my journey...

Thursday, May 13, 2010

Day 7




My posts are getting posted progressively later with each passing day...I'll try to post earlier from here on!

I LOVE NICARAGUA! I really saw Nicaragua's natural beauty today...

We had our traditional 4 hours of Spanish class this morning, however this time, we succeeded in convincing our teacher to let us move the classroom outside to the garden! There is nothing better than learning in the beautiful sunshine!

We learned how to make guacamole, and had it with our lunch...mmmm! Delicious! This homemade guacamole immediately became my new favourite snack! There will be many more cooking lessons to come, and I will update you as I learn more about Central American cuisine!

After lunch, we left for Catarina, a small town about 35 minutes outside of Jinotepe. What makes this town unique is that there is a viewpoint of Lake Apoya, and of the Mombacho Volcano. Lake Apoyo is the largest volcanic lagoon in Nicaragua - and it's beautiful! (see pictures above)

We had about a 2 hour Nicaraguan history lesson at the viewpoint in Catarina. Nicaragua's history is complicated, and extremely sad, but interesting nonetheless. I'm finding that the more I learn about NIcaragua, the more I love and appreciate it!

When we finally decided that it was time to leave Catarina to return to Jinotepe, we were having great difficulties in catching a bus home! We stood at the side of the road, waiting for a bus to pass by, for at least 20 minutes. It really wasn't looking promising, especially as it was nearing 6:00 (which is when the sun sets here...). We were growing desperate - then a school bus, painted with different colours, pulls up in front of us to drop off several people in uniforms. Our teacher asks if they are passing through Jinotepe, and the bus driver says yes. Even though this bus was clearly dropping people off only, he gladly allowed us to hitch a ride (the people are so friendly!). I notice that the side of this bus reads "el penitenciario nacional". I gather that this bus must be from a penitentiary, so I am slightly concerned for our safety. Luckily, the bus was dropping off the Prison Guards who were done there shifts...phew! They were very friendly, and it was a pleasant trip home.

Tomorrow is the Amazing Race...it should be interesting considering my limited Spanish! haha

No comments:

Post a Comment