The story of my journey...

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Day 27

Today in Spanish class, there were only 2 of us. Poor Brittany is terribly sick! It's the kind of sick the doctors warned us about...the one we all have an emergency, kill-everything-in-your-body antibiotic called Cipro for. Bad news bears...that's all I can say. The poor thing. It might just be bacterial (hopefully...), although it's quite probable that it's a parasite! Hopefully she starts to feel better really soon; she's been such a trooper!

We had planned on going to the Masayo Volcano this afternoon, but because Brittany isn't in a position to leave the house, we decided to raincheck - hopefully we can do it next week!

Our placement coordinator, Kaleigh, had this idea to create a mosaic to mount on the wall - sort of like a welcome, photo collage piece on the wall in the front room. She had picked up some broken tiles, all different colors, and we spent the afternoon breaking the tiles, deciding on a theme or design for the mosaic, and putting it together. And when I say we, I really mean Kaleigh and Sara (another volunteer...) because despite my initial gung-ho attitude, I fell asleep on the couch right in the middle of conversation. It was pretty hilarious, because the were using a hammer to break and smash these tiles into little pieces, and they had music on and everything. I didn't even flinch. Two hours later I wake up to find the outside of the mosaic totally finished. Oops! I felt pretty bad, although I guess I needed that little nap! I promise to post pictures of the mosaic when it's done! I've never done a mosaic before, and it's pretty awesome! It's a cool process, and it really demands a different kind of creativity.

We went out for the evening. We had a good two-hour long conversation - one of those conversations where you seem to touch on all of life's mysteries. We talked about death, and a lot about health in general. We shared some really sad stories - from car accidents to freak accidents to terminal illnesses - and as much as they make our heart ache, they also remind us of how lucky we are... It's easy to take your own health, or the health of your loved ones, for granted - but the reality is, if you don't have good health, you really don't have much at all. It was a good reminder to make sure the people we love and care about know how much we do...and to really live each day to the fullest.


No comments:

Post a Comment