I started at the hospital at 7am again this morning, working in the "Emergencia de los ninos" (Emergency Pediatrics). The great nurse I worked with yesterday was in another unit today, and I realized what a difference one person can make! She totally took me under her wing yesterday, and patiently answered my questions and listened to me as I struggled to express myself. Today, the nurses weren't quite as patient - they actually rolled their eyes at me when I didn't understand what they were saying. It made me really sad, and frustrated. I was trying really hard, and it was really frustrating to have people not understand that effort! It's definitely a challenge for me to learn these hospital tasks in a language that I've only been learning for one month. And the thing is I can understand! I've had many successful conversations with a lot of different people! But I can't understand what someone is saying if they are not willing to speak a little slower for me. I've always tried to be patient and empathetic of people learning English in Canada, and my experiences here will only further my empathy, patience, and understanding.
My afternoon at the clinic was really interesting again! I shadowed another doctor though, simply because when I arrived at the clinic, the doctor I was working with yesterday was on his lunch break. When I finished work for the day, I spent a solid 2 hours going through Spanish terms with Leo. I had written down all of the words I didn't understand today while at work (just words I would hear, or see on posters and such...). I had over 4 pages of words and phrases! It helped a lot, but my brain is tired from all of the language confusion!
We had dance lessons tonight! It was sooo much fun! We danced for over an hour and a half. A few of our friends from the English classes at BaseCamp came to teach us. We learned all kinds of Latin dances! We laughed and laughed and laughed. :)
I'm absolutely exhausted though, so I'm off to bed early(ish) tonight.
did u tke temperature, weigh and mesure there height again at the hospital
ReplyDelete