What a day! I’ve learned so much already!
I woke up at 6:15am to what sounded like someone banging pots together, but I now realize that it was a church bell (haha). After getting ready for the day, I went and laid in the hammock for a bit – so peaceful.
My first taste of Nicaraguan food was delicious! We had a traditional dish (Gallo Pinto), which is basically rice and beans, as well as eggs, toast, and fresh pineapple.
We had orientation this morning from 8-12ish. We learned cultural do's and dont's, house rules, and basically everything else we'll need to know to survive here! It was so helpful! I was pretty sleepy, as I only have had about 8 hours of sleep in the past 2 days, so I had my first cup of Nicaraguan coffee. Yum! I didn't have any problems staying awake after that (haha).
We spent the afternoon touring around Jinotepe. We visited the local market and had some homemade ice cream. It's so strange being in a city where I can't understand anything anyone is saying...but what really blows my mind is that I know by the end of the month, when I begin my volunteer placement, I will have to be able to communicate with the Nicaraguans I am working with! So much to learn in such a short amount of time...
After a late lunch, we had the rest of the day to ourselves. So nice! We went out for dinner to a mexican restaurant called "Taco e Taco", which supposedly serves the best Mexican food in Nicaragua! It was fantastic! I had 3 tostadas and an iced tea (Nicaraguan style) for about $3.40 Canadian!
Saturday, May 8, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Sounds awesome Meagan! Can't wait to see you in August my love :) I'll be following!
ReplyDeleteMeagan! You're such a brave girl, but your confident and collected composure is going to do you wonders on this journey.
ReplyDeleteLooking forward to hearing more about your adventure!
Buena suerte mi amiga!
xo
Thank you for sharing your experience Meagan! We'll be following as you embark on this amazing adventure! Amanda and Steve
ReplyDeleteMeagan we love you and are thrilled for you. You are having the experience of a lifetime. We love you lots and thanks for bringing us along for the ride. A.Karen, U.Marty, Emily and Hunter
ReplyDelete