It's been raining since Tuesday. Non-stop. And it's not just a light rain, it's sheets of rain. Living in Alberta, I have to say I've never seen this much rain. The power was out ALL DAY yesterday. The power initially went out around 1 am, because I remember waking up and noticing how dark it was - none of the streetlights were on.
The power went on once or twice yesterday, but only for about 5 minutes each time. Because the power has been out, there has been no internet, no lights (which poses a large problem considering the sun sets completely by 6pm), and no running water (because our water pump requires electricity to run).
Because the house is not fully enclosed (there are no walls or paned windows...) everything is damp. My bed is right under a window, and so I was misted by the rain the entire night, which likely explains my immediate sickness the following day. We all spent the day reading and studying Spanish. We talked for hours, and when we didn't talk, we enjoyed the unusual silence and peace, without having the usual distractions we do.
We read until the sun went down, when we knew there would be no light. We lit the candles we had and played Spanish Monopoly by candlelight. It was right after I'd traded Vermont Street for 2 yellow properties when I started to feel terribly sick. My stomach was churning, and I was cold for the first time since I've arrived in Nicaragua. I made myself a cup of tea, and wrapped myself in blankets. It didn't help.
Needless to say, I went straight to bed.
your lucky for it only to rain there... it snowed more at once than it did all winter on saturday
ReplyDeleteoh alberta weather...how I miss you. NOT! haha
ReplyDelete